Established in 1970 Rufford Printing Company were totally a Letterpress Printers.
We are a family run business of craftsmen dedicated to creating beauty in print. Our passion, letterpress, involves inking raised type and impressing it deeply onto soft paper using vintage printing presses. This fusion of traditional 15th century printing methods and 21st century technology gives unique results.
Our Heidelberg Platens, Arab and Adana presses allow us to produce high quality craftsmanship at reasonable costs, in runs from one copy to tens of thousands of copies.
Letterpress is truly an ancient art, dating back to A.D 175 in China. From those early days until the 1400s, the process remained more or less unchanged, with non-printing areas cut away from blocks of wood or stone.
In the mid 15th Century, Johannes Gutenberg invented a process which not only revolutionised print, but changed the whole world. Books could now be produced faster, cheaper, and in greater quantities, allowing information and ideas to be shared and human knowledge expanded.
Gutenberg invented a way of creating moveable type by casting individual letters from molten metal. This remained the principal printing method throughout the world until the late 1960s when offset litho began to be adopted by the print industry.
Although letterpress printing has been almost forsaken by the industry in favour of other methods better suited to mass production, letterpress still has much to offer. The look and feel are unmistakable – when combined with the right paper, the inked surface becomes slightly debossed adding another dimension.
These days, we mostly print from zinc or photopolymer plates, allowing our customers to supply artwork as computer files. These plates also allow us to print with a heavier impression, which would quickly wear out lead foundry type.
Rufford Printing are pleased to be among the few jobbing printers in the UK to continue to offer fine letterpress printing.
- CORONAVIRUS UPDATE- The presses still roll on but…
- 50th YEAR ANNIVERSARY
- HALF TERM ACTIVITY
- Typewriters cant be Hacked
- LETTERPRESS OPEN DAY April 14 2018
- Letterpress Open Day April 2018- Pictures
- Letterpress Open Day preparations
- Letterpress Open Day prep…14th April 2018
- Letterpress bag production
- Letterpress Open Day Spring 2018
- OPEN DAY Sat Nov 4th 2017
- Cedar Farm Summer Celebrations
- Open Day May 2017- Dont forget! Letterpress Alive
- Comic Relief 2017
- Letterpress Open Day 12th March 2017 – Postponed
- Letterpress Open Day March 12th 2017
- Valentines Day 2017
- Letterpress Open Day- Sept 11th 2016
- LETTERPRESS OPEN DAY
- Wedding Stationery
- Letterpress Open Day 2016
- Letterpress Open Day April 2016
- Letterpress Open Day 10th April 2016 from 11 till 3pm
- Letterpress Open Day
- Letterpress Open Days